A Reward of up to $10,000.00 is being offered by Alta magazine (“Alta”) to encourage an individual to step forward and provide information leading to the return of one or all sections of the bronze fountain called the “Well of Scribes”. This fountain, sculpted by Lee Lawrie, was originally located at foot of the West Garden of the Los Angeles Public Library’s (“Library”) Central Library but mysteriously disappeared in 1969 and has been missing ever since. The fountain’s design centers on a winged horse flanked on each side by a procession of detailed single figures in profile representing the scribes from various early cultures. A recent article in Alta magazine led to the return of one section of the famed bronze fountain, but three pieces from the Well of the Scribes are still missing (collectively, the “Sculpture”):
- the center panel depicting a winged horse (“Center Panel”),
- the left panel depicting a procession of scribes (“Left Panel”), and
- a water spout of a setting sun (“Spout”).
If you have information leading to the return of one or more pieces of the Sculpture, you may be eligible for a Reward, subject to the following terms and conditions:
1. Eligibility. Anyone is eligible to participate, subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations. The Reward is void where prohibited. To be eligible to claim a Reward, the information you provide must: (a) be submitted via email to email@example.com, (b) lead to the recovery of one or more missing pieces of the Sculpture; and (c) not be information already known by Alta or the Library. Such information may include but is not limited to GPS coordinates, precise directions, addresses, or photos or videos indicating the location of the missing pieces of the Sculpture.
2. Start/End Dates. This offer opens at 12:01 a.m. PST on January 22, 2020 and closes at 11:59 p.m. PST on December 31, 2020. Information received outside this time period will not be considered.
4. The Reward. The total payment of the rewards for the Sculpture shall not exceed $10,000.00 and will be applied to the three missing pieces as follows: (a) $4,000 for information leading to the recovery of the Central Panel; (b) $4,000 for information leading to the recovery of the Left Panel; and (c) $2,000 for information leading to the recovery of the Spout (these amounts are collectively and individually referred to as the “Reward”). No Reward will be paid until: (a) the source of the information is verified; (b) the content of the information is authenticated; (c) the missing piece of the Sculpture that is recovered as a direct result of the information provided is retrieved; (d) the recovered Sculpture piece is authenticated by the Library (to be determined in the Library’s sole discretion); and (e) the potential Reward recipient is in compliance with these Terms. Alta may contact you (via the contact information you provided) for additional verification information and questions concerning the information provided. You agree to reasonably cooperate with Alta and the Library concerning the verification and authentication of the information.
5. How to Claim Reward. Each Reward recipient will be notified by email through the email address from which the information was submitted. Notification is deemed to have occurred immediately upon the sending of an email, and each Reward recipient must respond with a valid name and address and any other requested information within fourteen (14) days after receipt of the Reward notification in order to claim the Reward. The Reward will be distributed in a lump sum payment to the Reward recipient in the form of a check or money order. Reward recipient(s) are solely responsible for all federal, state, and local taxes, and for any other costs and fees associated with the Reward received. If a Reward recipient is considered a minor in his/her/their jurisdiction of residence, the Reward will be delivered to minor’s parent/legal guardian and awarded in the name of parent/legal guardian. If a Reward recipient cannot be contacted within thirty (30) days of the first notification attempt, or if any Reward or Reward notification is returned as undeliverable, or if a Reward recipient rejects his/her/their Reward, then such Reward will be forfeited. Each potential recipient may be required to submit an affidavit of eligibility / release of liability / prize acceptance agreement (collectively, the “Affidavit“) and return the Affidavit within the time period specified on the Reward notification before being eligible to receive his/her/their prizes. If any potential Reward recipient fails or refuses to sign and return such Affidavit within the time period required by Alta or if the Reward notification is returned as rejected, faulty, unclaimed or returned as undeliverable to such potential Reward recipient, such potential Reward recipient may be disqualified and an alternate may be selected.
6. Selection Procedures. If multiple persons separately submit the same or similar information, only the first person (as determined based on the date and time the email is received by Alta) will be eligible to collect a Reward. If unique information from multiple persons was used collectively to recover one or more of the missing Sculpture pieces, then the Reward will be divided between the persons in a manner to be decided at Alta’s sole discretion. In the event a team made up of several persons submits information leading to the recovery of one or more of the missing pieces of the Sculpture, one person shall be designated as the team leader and Alta shall distribute the Reward to the team according to the instructions of the team leader. Notwithstanding and in addition to the foregoing, any decision regarding whether to grant or how to apportion a Reward will be determined at Alta’s sole discretion.
7. Publicity Release. Alta may ask each Reward recipient to take part in one or more promotional activities related to the return of the Sculpture. If a Reward recipient chooses to participate in such activity, such Reward recipient hereby irrevocably grants Alta and the Library permission to use, both before and after the duration of the Reward offer for an unlimited time, such Reward recipient’s name, photograph, voice, image, and likeness for publicity and informational purposes in connection with the Reward and/or Sculpture (in any medium, including photographs, video recordings, digital images, audio recordings, as well as in publications, newsletters, news releases, other printed materials, and in materials made available on the Internet or in other media now known or hereafter developed) and in advertising, marketing or promotional material without additional obligations, compensation, or prior notice. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Alta will not use a Reward recipient’s name, voice, photograph, image or likeness without the Reward recipient’s express written consent.
9. Limitation of Liability. Alta is not responsible for any lost, delayed, incomplete, stolen, misdirected, technically corrupted, or undelivered email or mail. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL ALTA OR THE LIBRARY BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES (EVEN IF ALTA OR THE LIBRARY WAS ADVISED OF, KNEW OF OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN OF THE POSSIBLILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) ARISING OUT OF THESE TERMS OR RELATING TO YOUR PARTICIPATION OR ACCEPTANCE OF THE REWARD. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, SO SUCH DISCLAIMERS AND EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH JURISDICTIONS, THE SCOPE AND DURATION OF THESE DISCLAIMERS AND THE EXTENT OF THE LIABILITY HEREUNDER WILL BE THE MINIMUM PERMITTED UNDER SUCH APPLICABLE LAW.
10. Governing Law. These Terms will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without regard to principles of conflicts of law. The jurisdiction and venue for any action arising out of or relating to these Terms will be exclusively in the federal or state courts located in San Francisco, California.
11. Force Majeure. Alta and the Library shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations under these Terms where the failure is caused by something outside of their reasonable control. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
12. Sponsors: San Simeon Films d/b/a Journal of Alta California, P.O. Box 14666, San Francisco, CA 94114, and Los Angeles Public Library, 630 W. 5th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071.
HAVE INFORMATION? CONTACT US AT TIPS@ALTONLINE.COM